Erasing: an unsafe teen game parents should know about

Even after over a decade in pediatrics, teens always surprise me.

Last week a junior high student came into a checkup with the scabbed hand pictured in the photo above.  Apparently there is a game new to me called “Erasing”. My patient told me the game can be played with any type of eraser, but the pink one at the end of a number two pencil works best.  The object of the game is rub with an eraser hard enough to “erase” as much of your skin on the back your hand as possible.  The players each choose a ligament (one of the cords which run from your knuckles to your wrist) to “erase.” The first person to stop erasing loses the game.

If you find your teen erasing, tell them about the dangers of infection and scarring. Since a teen often does not understand long term ramifications, it is often a more a more effective deterrent to tell him/her to stop because it “looks ugly”. Even if your teen is not erasing, use a discussion about erasing as a starting point to talk about other self injurious behaviors (i.e. “choking games” where the object is to cut off someone’s breathing and the “find your true laugh” game).

Since I thought erasing was a brand new trend, I took the photograph to show the other doctors in my office. When I flashed the photo in front of one of my colleagues,  he glanced briefly at it and said,” Oh, that’s erasing- I did that when I was a kid.”

Amazing we all got through.

Pass this info on to other parents.

Naline Lai, MD and Julie Kardos, MD
Two Peds in a Pod®

image_pdfimage_print
Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

• Reply J Henry Warren December 11, 2009 at 4:38 am

I love this site! It’s a fantastic reading stop!

The articles and information posted here by the TwoPedsInAPod are invaluable to anyone with children with medical needs. And, who doesn’t have children with these requirements?

Just think of your tribe’s life and worries, and this blog will provide uncomplicate answers and explainations to all the things you didn’t think you’d need to know, but did, or wanted to cure. Until, now?

The good news is we all maintain a personallized self acquired inventory of medical basic knowledge. Here’s a blog which tunes it up. Fills in the knowledge gaps.

During my visit to this blog, and reviewing the fabulous writings and posts of Doctors Julie and Naline, I found many pleasing facts, casual uncomplicated approaches, and understanding of “their new medicine” and their refreshing approach doctoring. All of which are needed for the likes of parents like us.

Write to these Two Peds for trully understandable medical information, points of interest, and definitely new medical information you can use. Sleep Safely, Alcohol and Drugs, H1N1, Worry Wart, and Happiness. All great inspiration pieces let alone treatments. All inspriation to be healthier. Easier.

The TwoPedsInaPod good health and information for every child are gifts for surviving and living the good life gracefully.

jhenry@jhenrywarren.com

• Reply Carole Centanni August 27, 2010 at 1:06 am

Is erasing a thing to be worried about? I noticed my 13 year old nephew has starting doing it and it’s leaving quite a few scars.

• Reply FESTA 18 ANNI ROMA August 28, 2010 at 10:22 am

Hey very nice blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds also..

• Reply How To September 5, 2010 at 7:12 pm

It is, as you comment, amazing that we all got through childhood and adolescence.
    This article will help us—sometimes bewildered parents and grandparents of teens—know how to recognize some of the subtler warning signs of self-destructive behavior in the young strangers we are trying to raise to be healthy adults. Thanks for the heads-up.
    G’pa Jack

• Reply Steve Stanley October 19, 2010 at 5:05 pm

…just heard the article on NPR and really appreciate this information for parents! Thank you!
    (It’s another of the many things that kids learn that takes forever to find out as a parent.)
    And the medical implications are invaluable too, of course!

• Reply Best Video Poker Games November 5, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Tough games! They try to prove that they are strong and mighty and prove that that are still so small and silly.

• Reply Angela December 4, 2011 at 4:24 am

uh me and my friends have played this games but we played it on our wrists. thats how its played where i live.

• Reply Lgirl January 9, 2012 at 7:56 pm

This is not only a game, people are using this as a way to self harm. Like cutting without the blood. It’s sad.

• Reply Joy May 22, 2013 at 1:42 am

This reminds me of playing “bloody knuckles” or giving each other “Indian burns” as kids but pushed up a level. For some reason I think each generation has to out do the next.
    I ask my son about some of the things that I have seen him or other kids his age (13) do and he is generally forth coming and we will discuss them but this is new to me. Thanks for the heads up.
    I hope everyone can have open dialogue with their children.